Genealogy & Local History
Heritage Hounds meets the second Thursday of each month at 5:30 pm and we are proud to announce that our Ancestry Library account is now available on any PC in the library, as well as wirelessly on your own device whilw visiting the library. In addition, our online photo database Marion Memories is still available for home use.
If you plan on visiting our library, please take some time to look over our Heritage Hub policy:
Genealogy Room (Heritage Hub) Policy
Our policies are designed to protect the collections and promote an atmosphere conducive to research for all patrons.
Please check in at the circulation desk upon arrival.
You may bring into the Heritage Hub:
- Paper, research notes, electronic devices and three-ring binders.
- Pencils (available in the genealogy room and at the circulation desk for patrons who don’t have one).
- Cell phones (set to vibrate or at lowest volume. Please leave the library or go to one of the entry foyers to take calls).
- Hand-held cameras and electronic devices with camera capabilities. (No flash is allowed.)
- Hand-held scanners. (Scanners through which paper must be fed are prohibited.)
You may not bring:
- Large purses, briefcases, waist-packs, backpacks, etc.
- Books, magazines and original manuscript documents. (Exceptions to this rule can be discussed with staff on a case-by-case basis.)
- Ink pens of any kind, permanent markers, or personal copiers.
- Tobacco products, food and drink.
Lockers are available outside the genealogy room for personal item storage. Please see staff at the front desk for a key.
A photocopy machine is located in the genealogy room. Researchers are responsible for obtaining necessary publication rights and/or copyright clearances before using copies in any publication.
Copyright law prohibits the copying of more than ten (10) percent or one (1) complete chapter of any published work.
Photocopies and microfilm copies are $0.10 per page.
Microfilm Readers and Computers
There is one microfilm reader-printer and one microfilm reader. During especially busy periods, MCPL staff reserves the right to ask patrons to limit their use of the reader-printer to printing and may ask patrons who are only reviewing microfilm to move to the reader. Additionally, MCPL staff also reserves the right to ask patrons to limit their use of computers and both microfilm machines to one hour during especially busy periods.
Collections Care and Use
- You may not remove research materials from the genealogy room.
- After use, please leave items on the tables to be re-shelved by staff.
- Please do not re-shelve materials.
- Do not mark or damage MCPL collections with pencils or other writing implements.
- Do not take items apart in order to insert your own information or pages.
- Handle materials safely. When in doubt, ask MCPL staff.
- Please leave items in family folders and other special collections in the order in which you found them.
- If you have information you would like to donate to MCPL’s collection, please give it to staff at the circulation desk or ask to speak to the genealogy/reference librarian.
Library staff has the authority inspect all materials as a precaution as patrons leave the Heritage Hub.
In addition to on-site research, our staff also provides long-distance research assistance for a nominal fee.
Long-Distance Research Assistance
Members of the library staff can assist you with your research when you can’t make it to our facility. To best assist you, please adhere to our request policy:
- Requests must be made in print via US Postal Service or via email. However, payment is still required when requests are made via email.
- Include as much information as possible in regards to the individual(s) you are researching. The more details you provide, the better able we will be able to find information pertinent to your request.
- Please allow up to six (6) weeks for your request to be filled. We have a small staff, many of whom work part-time. Requests will be filled on a first-come, first-served basis as time permits for our staff. Please be assured, we want to help you and will fill your request as soon as humanly possible, but time constraints keep us from getting requests filled the day they come in.
- The library adheres to all applicable copyright laws.
- Requests that fall outside the scope of this service or that include insuffifient funds will be returned.
- In return for our research time, we ask for a nominal $5.00 stipend per request.
Please mail requests to:
Marion County Public Library
201 East Main Street
Lebanon, KY 40033
You may also contact our Reference and Genealogy Librarian Jama Watts or other staff members by phoning 270.692.4698. If you need help making plans to visit our facility or have questions regarding books or other items located in our collection, you may also email her at email@example.com.