Heritage Hub Episode 1
Ep. 1: New Market
This is the first episode of the Heritage Hub Podcast sponsored by the Marion County Public Library. Our host, James Spragens, interviews Richard Crum on the history of New Market. New Market was a small town in Marion County Kentucky. Richard recounts different stories of New Market and provides a rough timeline of the rise and decline of New Market.
This link will take you to 1877 map of Marion and Washington County that Richard mentions at 11:37and 21:45 in the podcast.
The article about Florence Newcomb can be found following this
Pleistocene Lake – This lake existed between Bradfordsville and St. Joe and covered what is today New Market, during the Pleistocene era, from 2 million to 10 thousand years ago. The lagoons between Jessietown and St. Joe were the remnants of this lake. New Market 1 – information about New Market and pictures of the original bridge. New Market 2 – continued information about New Market and a picture of the old Mill Dam New Market School – the school in the late 40’s. The school closed in 1948. Presbyterian Church – This is the Presbyterian Church around 1903. It is the second church on this site as the first one was destroyed by the 1870 tornado in New Market. At some point, the congregation became so small that it was absorbed by the Presbyterian Church in Lebanon. The building was torn down in the 1950’s, but the cemetery is still there, under the care of Muldraugh Hill Baptist Church. The Carter House – The Carter family, prominent in New Market in the 1800’s, built this house near Ward’s Branch Road. It was also used as a stage stop and a hotel. The Carters also ran the Post Office and a store at another location in New Market. They also owned a good sized farm. Mussen – I’ve tried to isolate the photo of First Lt. William Mussen. He was a resident of New Market and is buried in the upper cemetery where the old Presbyterian church was. The Mussens were a prominent family in the New Market area in the 1800’s. William served in the Union army in the Civil War, survived and is buried in the upper cemetery in New Market as mentioned before. Muldraugh Hill Baptist Church – after the 1870 tornado, the church moved from New Market to its present location above Jessietown. The picture is the one built in the present location after the tornado.
(To zoom in on the above photos right click on the photo and select open image in a new tab. You should be able to then zoom in.)